- R. Hirsch and B. McLean. Disjoint-union partial algebras. Logical Methods in Computer Science, 13(2):1-31, 2017. On ArXiv.
- R. Hirsch, M. Jackson and T. Kowalski. Algebraic foundations for qualitative calculi and networks. On ArXiv.
- R. Hirsch and M. Reynolds. The temporal logic of two dimensional Minkowski spacetime is decidable. To appear in Journal of Symbolic Logic. On ArXiv.
- J. Alm, R. Hirsch and R. Maddux. There is no finite-variable equational axiomatization of representable relation algebras over weakly representable relation algebras, Review of Symbolic Logic, 2016. Arxiv version.
- R. Egrot and R. Hirsch. Meet-completions and ordered domain algebras. Logic Journal of the IGPL, 23(4):584-600, doi:10.1093/jigpal/jzv018, 2015. Arxiv preprint.
- R. Hirsch, M. Jackson and S. Mikulas. The algebra of functions. Arxiv. To appear in Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 2015.
- R. Hirsch and T. Sayed Ahmed. The neat embedding property for algebras other than cylindric algebras and for infinite dimensions. In Journal of Symbolic Logic.Volume 79(1), pp 208-222, 2014. Preprint.
- R. Hirsch and L. Dodd. Improved lower bounds on the size of the smallest solution to a graph colouring problem, with an application to relation algebra. JORMICS v. 2, pp 18-26, 2013. Here is a preprint.
- R. Hirsch and S. Mikulas. Ordered domain algebras. Journal of Applied Logic, 10.1016/j.jal.2013.04.002/ vol 11(3), pp 253-362, 2013. Preprint.
- R Egrot and R Hirsch. Completely Representable Lattices. Algebra Universalis vol. 67, pp 205-217, 2012, DOI 10.1007/s00012-012-0181-4. A preprint.
- R Hirsch and I Hodkinson. Completions and Complete Representations. Chapter in "Cylindric-type algebras and algebraic logic", vol. 22 in Bolyai Mathematical Studies Series, Springer, 2013.
- R. Hirsch and M. Jackson. Some Undecidable Problems on Representability as Binary Relations. In Journal of Symbolic Logic.Volume 77(4), pp 1211-1244, 2012
- R. Hirsch and S. Mikulas. Positive fragments of relevance logic and algebras of binary relations, 2010. Review of Symbolic Logic, volume 4, issue 01, pp. 81-105. Online version available here, (doi:10.1017/S1755020310000249, Cambridge University Press).
- R. Hirsch and S. Mikulas. Axiomatizability of Representable Domain Algebras, Journal of Logic and Algebraic Programming, doi 10.1016/j.jlap.2010.07.019, 2011. A preprint.
- R Hirsch and E Tzanis. Complexity of logics with bounded modalities, 2009.
- R. Hirsch, I. Hodkinson and R. Maddux. Weak representations of relation algebras and relational bases, in Journal of Symbolic Logic, vol. 76(3), 2011. A preprint.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson , Strongly Representable Atom Structures of Cylindric Algebras. vol. 84, number 3, pp 811-828, Journal of Symbolic Logic, 2009.
- R.Hirsch and N. Gkorogiannis, The complexity of the warranted formula problem in propositional argumentation. In the Journal of Logic and Computation, OUP, vol.20 (2) pp 481-499, 2009. doi: 10.1093/logcom/exp074
- L. Hirsch, R. Hirsch and M. Saeedi Evolving Lucene Search Queries for Text Classification, Proceedings of GECCO 2007.
- R. Hirsch and S. Mikulas. Semilattice Ordered Monoids. This is draft copy. The original publication is available at www.springerlink.com vol. 57, pp 333-370, Algebra Universalis, 2007.
- R.Hirsch. Relation algebra reducts of cylindric algebras and complete representations. Journal of Symbolic Logic, vol. 72(2), pp 673-703, 2007. Erratum Journal of Symbolic Logic, vol. 78(4), pp 1345-1346, 2013.
- R.Hirsch. Peirce Algebras and Boolean Modules . Journal of Logic and Computation, vol. 17, pp 252-283, 2007. A draft version of this paper is available here .
- DJ Hulme, R Hirsch, B Buxton and RB Lotto, (2007) . A new reduction from 3SAT to n-partite graphs. IEEE, 2007.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson Games in algebraic logic: axiomatisations and beyond.
Proceedings of "Foundations of the Formal Sciences V: Infinite Games", Bonn November 2004, Bold, Lowe, Rasche, van Bentham (Eds), 2004. To appear in Studies in Logic , Vol. 11, College Publications, 2007.
- L. Hirsch, R. Hirsch and M. Saeedi Evolving text classification rules with genetic programming. Applied Artificial Intelligence Journal, vol. 19 no. 7, pp 659-676, 2005.
- R.Hirsch. The class of representable ordered monoids has a recursively enumerable, universal axiomatisation but it is not finitely axiomatisable
Logic Journal of the IGPL (OUP), vol. 13 no. 2, pp 159-171, 2005.
- M. Cristiani and R. Hirsch. The complexity of the constraint satisfaction problem for small relation algebras
PDF version. In Artificial Intelligence Journal, volume 156, pages 177-196, 2004. NB Murray Neuzerling has alerted us to an error in the proof of Lemma 15. Currently the complexity of Gen-SAT for algebra #13 is not known.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Relation Algebras by Games. Volume 147 in Studies in Logic and the Foundations of Mathematics series, published by Elsevier Science, North-Holland, 2002. Errata. Status of open problems listed in the book.
- R. Hirsch, I. Hodkinson and A Kurucz. Every logic between K3 and S53 is undecidable and non-finitely axiomatisable This is a draft manuscript. A revised version called "On modal logics between K3 and S53" appears in the Journal of Symbolic Logic, volume 67, number 1, pages 221-234, 2002.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Strongly representable atom structures In the Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society , vol. 130, pp 1819-1831, 2002.
- R. Hirsch, I. Hodkinson and R. Maddux. On the number of variables required for proofs.
In the Journal of Symbolic Logic , volume 67, number 1, pp 197--213, 2002.
- R. Hirsch, I. Hodkinson and R. Maddux. Provability with finitely many variables.
In the Bulletin of Symbolic Logic, volume 8, number 3, pp 348-379, 2002
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Relation algebras from cylindric algebras, I
In Annals of Pure and Applied Logic , vol. 112, pp 225-266, 2001.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Relation algebras from cylindric algebras, II
In Annals of Pure and Applied Logic , vol. 112, pp 267-297, 2001.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Synthesising axioms by games.
In JFAK - a CD ROM of essays dedicated to Johan van Benthem on the occasion of his 50th birthday.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Representability is not decidable for finite relation algebras.
In the Transactions of the American Mathematical Society (vol. 353 number 4, 2001, pages 1387-1401). Reduces the tiling problem to the representation problem for finite relation algebras.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Connections between cylindric algebras and relation algebras.
Chapter 14 in Relational Methods in Computer Science Applications, (pages 239-246) which is published in volume 65 of Springer Physica Verlag series Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing , 2001.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Relation algebras with n-dimensional bases
A revised version appears in the Annals of Pure and Applied Logic ( vol. 101 pp 227-274, 2000, pub. Elsevier) but for copyright reasons this version cannot be posted here.
- R. Hirsch. Tractable approximations for temporal constraint handling In Artificial Intelligence Journal, vol. 116, pp 287-295, 2000.
- R.Hirsch. A finite relation algebra with undecidable network satisfaction problem
In the Bulletin of the Interest Group in Pure and Applied Logics volume 7, number 4, pages 547-554, 1999.
- R. Hirsch, I. Hodkinson, Maarten Marx, Szabolcs Mikulas, and Mark Reynolds. Appendix to `A modal logic of relations' by Venema & Marx. In Logic at work - Essays dedicated to the memory of Helena Rasiowa, Studia Logica library, pages 158-167, Kluwer academic publishers, Dordrecht, 1998.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Games in algebraic logic.
Presented at the Amsterdam Colloquium , December 1997, organised by the Institute for Logic, Language and Computation.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Axiomatising various classes of relation and cylindric algebras.
In Proc. Workshop on Logic, Language, Information, and Computation , Recife, July 1995. Also appears in Wollic95 Special Issue of the Journal of the Interest Group in Pure and Applied LogicsVol. 5, No. 2, pp 209 - 229, 1997.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Step by step - building representations in algebraic logic.
In the Journal of Symbolic Logic , volume 62, number 1, pages 225 - 279, March 1997. Includes game-theoretic characterisation of representations of relation algebras and a first-order characterisation of RRA.
- R. Hirsch. Expressive power and complexity in algebraic logic.
In the Journal of Logic and Computation , volume 7, number 3, pages 309 - 351, OUP, June 1997.
- R. Hirsch and I. Hodkinson. Complete representations in algebraic logic.
In the Journal of Symbolic Logic , volume 62, number 3, pages 816-847, September 1997. Includes proof that the completely representable relation algebras do not form an elementary class, and the same result for cylindric algebras of any fixed dimension.
- R. Hirsch. Mathematics - the pure science?
In Science and Society Spring 1996 issue, Vol. 60, No. 1, pp58 -79.
- R. Hirsch. Relation algebras of intervals In Artificial Intelligence Journal, vol. 83, pp 1-29, 1996. Diagrams are missing.
- R. Hirsch. Intractability in the Allen and Koomen planner.
In Computational Intelligence , vol. 11, no. 4, pp 553-564, November 1995.
- R. Hirsch. Completely representable relation algebras.
In the Bulletin of the Interest Group in Pure and Applied Logics ( IGPL ), pp77 -92, volume 3, number 1, March 1995.
- R. Hirsch. Relation algebras of intervals.
My thesis has three sections: Relation Algebra; Intervals; Applications in Planning. Diagrams are missing.
- R. Hirsch. From points to intervals
In the Journal of Applied Non-Classical Logic , volume 4 number 1, pp 7 - 27, 1994. (The postscript version here has diagrams missing)
Here are almost all of my publications. Please email me firstname.lastname@example.org if you spot any errors in this listing, or any errors in the papers.