The MSc Web Science & Big Data Analytics is taught mainly by staff from the Computer Science department, and in particular by:
Dr. Jun Wang
Senior Lecturer (Associate Professor)
Programme Director of MSc/MRes Web Science and Big Data Analytics
My research focus is on the areas of information retrieval, large scale data mining, multimedia content analysis, and statistical pattern recognition; current research covers both theoretical and practical aspects:
- portfolio theory and statistical modeling of information retrieval,
- data mining and collaborative filtering (recommendation),
- web economy and online advertising,
- user-centric information seeking,
- social, “the wisdom of crowds”, approaches for content understanding, organisation, and retrieval,
- peer-to-peer information retrieval and filtering, and
- multimedia content analysis, indexing and retrieval.
Dr Shi Zhou
Lecturer and Royal Academy of Engineering/EPSRC Research Fellow
- Complex networks. The structure, function and evolution of large-scale complex networks in nature and society, with an emphasis on the information and communication networks, such as the Internet and the World Wide Web.
- Internet inter-domain routing. Measuring and inferring Internet topology and AS relationships; modelling and predicting BGP routing paths; analysing and optimisng routing polices.
- Cloud computing. Classification of cloud assets, Internet routing of cloud data.
- Network security. Immunology-inspired Internet defence and security of the Cloud.
- Epidemic spreading and immunisation. Critical hybrid epidemics, inclulding computer worm Conficker on the Internet and HIV virus in human body.
- Online social media analysis. Data sampling bias.
- Social networks. Modelling, visualisation and prediction.
Prof Ingemar Cox
Professor of Telecommunications
Head of Media Futures Research Group
Dr Emine Yilmaz