- Advisors to Women Students
- Centre for the Advancement of Learning & Teaching (CALT)
- Computer Science Reception Desk
- CS Technical Support Helpdesk
- Day Nursery
- Dean of Students (Welfare)
- Equal Opportunity Issues
- Financial Support Pages for Students
- International Office
- Legal and Financial advice
- Loans and Bursaries
- National Health Service General Practice and Dentist
- Opening a Bank Account (International Students)
- Student Psychological Service
- Teaching Support
- UCL Careers Service
- UCL Disability Coordinator
- UCL Union Advice Services
- Useful Contacts in the Department
Although UCL is well provided with student accommodation there is never enough. If you are in difficulties please make sure you discuss your situation with the Accommodation Office (117 Gower Street, email: email@example.com). Please remember to update PORTICO with your new address and contact numbers.
Advisors to Women Students
Dr Hilary Richards (x40882) in the Biology Department, is available to deal with problems which specifically affect women students; for example, advise on dealing with sexual harassment.
Within the department of Computer Science itself, Professor Zhaoping Li (x32850) is the Women in CS co-ordinator, with the remit of encouraging and supporting women staff and students. Please see Zhaoping's website at http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/Z.Li/WomenInCS.html for more information.
Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT)
The UCL Centre for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching (CALT) has resources to help students improve their academic writing. Students who would like to discuss general writing issues or particular writing projects are invited to contact Anne McGee, tutor in academic literacies; ext. 45992.
Computer Science Reception Desk
The Reception Desk and Departmental office in room 5.25 deal with most issues to do with the day-to-day running of the department; JJ Giwa is in charge of the Departmental Office, and can be contacted on x37214.
CS Technical Support Helpdesk
The Technical Support Helpdesk deals with Software, Hardware, Networking and Licencing Issues.
- Opening Hours are 9.30am-5pm Mon-Fri. (term time) 11:00am-3pm (out of term)
- Telephone: 020 7679 7280 (or ext 37280)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. This will automatically create a trouble ticket. You can also check the status of your request.
The UCL Day Nursery can be found in the basement of 50-51 Gordon Square, telephone number 020 7679 7461. For general information about the nursery ask for the Nursery Manager. The Nursery is open to children from three months to five years old. The waiting list can be long and fees are in line with nurseries elsewhere in London. Limited help is available to a few students each year from the Day Nursery Hardship Fund; information can also be obtained from the Rights & Advice Centre.
Dean of Students (Welfare)
Dr Ruth Siddall, 4 Taviton Street is the Dean of Students (Tel: 020 7679 4545, x24545, e-mail: email@example.com). She co-ordinates all aspects of student welfare in the College and is also available to give individual advice and help to students about personal, academic, or social problems. In particular the Dean of Students may be able to help with financial problems (for example, she chairs the Access Hardship Panel). If you do have financial problems it is very important to seek help as soon as possible, preferably before matters get desperate. If you know you are going to need assistance, contact Ruth immediately so that you don't miss any deadlines that might have been set for applications potentially of relevance to you.
Equal Opportunity Issues
- are the first point of contact for personal equal opportunities issues within your department;
- are a local resource within your department to whom staff and students can come for information and advice, distributing and drawing attention to new equality developments and legislative change and ensuring staff and students are conversant with UCL's EO policies and procedures;
- help the Head of Department with the implementation of UCLs Equal Opportunities Policies and practice at a departmental level;
- liaise with the Head of Department about implementation of equal opportunity good practice within the department and corporately;
- provide valuable feedback about equal opportunity implementation at a departmental level, on any specific issues, problems or successes within your department;
- are good listeners, with flexible, non judgemental attitudes to differing perspectives;
- will respect your confidentiality.
Financial Support Pages for Students
UCL has dedicated pages for students needing advice on Student Funding, Loans, Tuition Fee Status and Financial Support.
The International Office
The International Office provides advice on such areas as immigration, employment, sources of funding and liaison with overseas institutions. If you are on a Junior Year Abroad scheme, you should note that the International Office is the principal contact point with the USA universities involved. The International Office also produces transcripts for affiliate students.
- The office is open from 9.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and is located in Room 19 on the First Floor, South Wing.
- The telephone number is 020 7679 7765/7708.
Legal and Financial advice
Legal and financial advice, including advice on housing and immigration, is available through the UCL Union. Initial contact should be to the Rights and Advice Centre on the first floor of the Bloomsbury Building. If necessary an appointment can be made for you to see a solicitor.
Loans and Bursaries
The Student Finance Section will be able to advise students on possible sources of assistance, such as loans, bursaries, hardship funds, grants and general finance information, both within and outside the College. You should also contact the Dean of Students and the welfare section of the UCL Union.
National Health Service General Practice and Dentist
A National Health Service General Practice and Dentist providing a full range of NHS services is based in the UCL Health Centre building on the second floor of 3 Gower Place. The Practice offers a contraceptive service (including the avoidance of HIV). You should consult the UCL Student Handbook for the various rules and regulations concerning registration and payment (do make sure you register if you need the service).
- The practice provides a 24-hour service and home visits if needed.
- Reception is on extension 32803 (020 7679 6306 externally).
- There is a dental clinic on the 5th floor. Phone extension 37186 for appointments.
Opening a Bank Account (International Students Only)
The UCL Prospective Student Webpages have comprehensive advice for international students who need to open a bank account whilst in the UK.
The Student Psychological Service
- Counselling is available, by appointment, between 09.30am-5.30pm.
- Phone (x21487) for an appointment.
- Meetings last about one hour and are in complete confidence.
The counsellors are available for consultation by students with any emotional, personal, social, sexual, domestic or study problems.
- The Undergraduate Departmental Tutor
The current tutor is Dr. Graham Roberts, room 5.07a, email firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 020 767 3711 (x33711). For minor issues or when Graham is not in his office you should see the Undergraduate Administrator in room 5.22. The Administrator may be able to deal directly with your problem and can tell you the best way to proceed.
UCL Careers Service
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/careers/The Careers Service gives comprehensive advice on all aspects of career development including vacation work, changing modules and future study. They run training courses on a variety of career options and provide information packs on interview skills and compiling CVs.
- They are based on the 4th floor of the ULU Building Malet Street.
- Telephone number 020 7866 3600.
- You can make an appointment with a careers advisor if you want further advice on the next step after UCL.
Dr Nicolas Gold is the Departmental Careers Tutor and can also offer careers advice. Nicolas can be contacted by email: email@example.com. He also maintains the department's Careers webpages, with a host of useful information and details of events and vacancies, is at http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/careers.html
UCL Disability Coordinator
The UCL Disability Coordinator, (Marion Hingston Lamb), can be found in room G16 in the Registrar's Division, South Wing. She is available to assist with any general enquiries regarding access issues at UCL extension x30100, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a student with disabilities, it may be possible to arrange for you to take your examinations in a separate room designated for this purpose and/or to use special equipment. The deadlines for making such arrangements are 1st March if you have dyslexia or at least six weeks before your first examination if you have another disability. If you wish to enquire about such arrangements you should, through your department and as early as possible, contact Chris Russell, Examinations Officer on x37702, from whom further details are available.
UCL Union Advice Services
The UCL Union Advice Services provide a whole range of help and advice: housing, finance, legal insurance, travel accommodation, and so on.
Details of key staff and their roles in the department. Alternatively see the Full Staff List.