Equipment and Computing Facilities
Research students are allocated their own desk in one of the large, open plan offices for the period of their study and provided with computer facilities, with access to the department’s dedicated support team and extensive computer network.
All facilities are accessible over the local area networks which in turn are connected to a UCL-wide, high bandwidth backbone network which supports wide-area video conferencing and data networks. Computer science students also have access to the UCL central computer systems.
Virtual Stock Trading Floor
Real-time data feeds from major exchanges are displayed on terminals and wall screens, and industry-standard software packages are used to provide the best possible introduction to Investment Banking IT.
The CAVE - Virtual Reality Room
Additional UCL and University of London Facilities
- UCL Library - With over two million books, 15 specialist Libraries, (including the Science Library next door to the Department), UCL Library Services provides access to a vast range of resources across all degree subjects.
- Computer and IT Facilities - In addition to the computing facilities in the department, our students also have access to UCL main cluster rooms, wireless network, helpdesks, and 150+ generalist and specialist software packages.
- Sports Facilities -The Bloomsbury Fitness Centre, located on the main campus, houses a variety of equipment – treadmills, cycle machines, crosstrainers, fixed resistance machines, for example – with places for 60 users at any one time. The centre also includes two squash courts, a dance studio and martial arts Dojo and offers weekly fitness classes. UCL also has outdoor pitches and courts in Shenley, Hertfordshire. With provision for rugby, football, netball, lacrosse and cricket, there is a free bus service on match days.
- Bloomsbury Theatre - UCL has it's own 530 capacity theatre which is owned and run by the university. It hosts professional performances – often focusing on innovative and unusual productions – including stand-up comedy, drama, dance and music.
- Museums - Our location in London is a 5 minute walk away from The British Museum, The Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology, The Grant Museum of Zoology, as well as the UCL Geology Collection, the Institute of Archaeology Collection, the Galton Collection of scientific instruments, the Ethnographic Collections of material culture and the UCL Art Collections.
As one of the founding members of the University of London, UCL students also have access to University of London Facilities such as:
- ULU Student Union building , with it's shops, bars, cafes, and sports facilities including a 33m swimming pool, (30 seconds walk away).
- Senate House University of London Library
Department of Computer Science, UCL (University College London)
Malet Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Phone: 020 7679 7214 (+44 20 7679 7214)
Fax: 020 7387 1397 (+44 20 7387 1397)