- In common with other departments in the UK, we normally expect candidates wishing to embark on a research degree to have a bachelor’s degree with first or upper second-class Honours, and/or a distinction at Master’s level, in an appropriate subject.
- Applicants with other qualifications and sufficient relevant experience and background knowledge may be considered.
- A note about transcripts: any transcripts, certificates or references provided as part of your application must be in English. Official translations must be verified by your original university, a solicitor or official translation service such as that provided by the British Council. Translations must also be accompanied by a certified copy in the original language.
Applicants are required to meet both the entry requirements and the English Language requirements separately. Each applicant will be considered on an individual basis.
The grades and qualifications listed above are intended to give an approximate level of achievement we believe you will need to succeed on the programme. These are for guidance only and are in addition to UCL's general entry requirements
English Language Requirements (needed in addition to above requirements)
The required evidence may be one of the following:
- Substantial education (minimum 12 months) or work experience (minimum 18 months) conducted in English in a majority English speaking country and undertaken no more than the summer two years prior to the proposed date of enrolment.
- A recently obtained acceptable English language qualification or test result. The qualification or test result must have been awarded no more than two years prior to the proposed date of enrolment.
UCL reserves the right, in individual circumstances, to specify an additional language requirement for an applicant.
Accepted documentation includes
GCSE English Language:
Pass at grade C
IELTS: International English Language Testing System:
Overall grade of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each of the subtests
Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT
Overall grade of 92 with a minimum of 24/30 in reading and writing, and 20/30 in speaking and listening.
Other English Language Qualifications:
Please note that our courses require a level of English equivalent to the "UCL Standard Level".
Part-time student additional requirements
While we do offer our PhD programme on a part-time basis, the following additional requirements must be addressed at the application stage before an offer is considered:
- Must be able to devote 20 hours per week, with at least one full day within the working week (Mon-Fri) included
- Must be formally endorsed or supported by their employer or line manager, in writing, if they are in full time employment (or they must only be in part-time employment)
- A student would be expected to be working on a PhD topic that overlaps with the work they are doing in employment.
Department of Computer Science, UCL (University College London)
Malet Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Phone: 020 7679 7214 (+44 20 7679 7214)
Fax: 020 7387 1397 (+44 20 7387 1397)